We hear it time and time again: Installing new energy efficient windows can save you money on your energy bill. There is no doubt that this statement is true, but just how much money will upgrading to new windows save you? The answer is: It depends.
When asking the question of how much money new energy efficient windows can save you on energy costs, you must first ask yourself these questions:
1) What kind of windows do you currently have installed? In order to guage the potential energy savings on upgrading windows, you need to determine how inefficient your current windows are. How old are they? Are they wood? Aluminum? Are they single pane or double pane, etc…
2) How many windows will you be replacing? This may seem like a silly question but the amount of windows and the size of the house will obviously play a factor in energy savings/loss.
3) Where do you live? The local climate you live in will have a significant impact on energy savings. If you live in a temperate climate where there isn’t extreme heat or cold, your energy savings wont be nearly as big as if you lived in a climate with extreme heat (where you’re constantly running an air conditioner) or extreme cold/rain/wind (where heating costs are a big factor)
After considering all these factors you should be able to accurately determine what your energy savings are. However, if you are looking for the quick answer, Energy Star (a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy helping us all save money and protect the environment through energy efficient products and practices) estimates that:
• If you’re replacing single pane windows your savings will be between $126-$465 a year.
• If you’re replacing double pane windows you will save approximately $27-$111 a year.
Here is a helpful chart to show the estimated energy savings you would receive based on the type of climate you live in. Although this is an American chart and we live in Canada, you should still be able to draw comparisons to similar climate zones from south of the border.
Brock Doors and Windows Ltd.
Barrie Showroom (OPENING SOON)
2347 Industrial Park Rd, Innisfil, ON L9S 3V9, Canada
278 Orenda Rd Brampton, ON L6T 4X6
486 Evans Ave Unit 11 Etobicoke, ON M8W 2T7
North York Showroom
288 Bridgeland Ave #1 North York, ON M6A 1Z4
2131 McCowan Rd Scarborough, ON M1S 3Y6
1751 Wentworth St Unit 4-6 Whitby, ON L1N 8M2
© 2018 Brock Doors and Windows Ltd.. All Rights Reserved.